If you’re having problems with your iPhone, there are many things you can try to fix the device, and one of them is performing a hard reset on your handset.
Hard Reset or Force Restart is a quick way to fix minor issues with your iPhone. Exactly how it works; It varies depending on which iPhone model you’re using and which iOS version you’re using.
How to hard reset iPhone on iOS 16 devices.
If your iPhone is one of the later models that support iOS 16. Follow the below steps to force restart your device.
- Press and quickly release the volume button on the iPhone.
- Press and release the volume button on your device.
- Press and hold the side button on iPhone until you see the Apple logo.
- Release the side button when you see the Apple logo.
It’s the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus; iPhone X iPhone XR iPhone XS iPhone XS Max iPhone 11 iPhone 11 Pro; iPhone 11 Pro Max; iPhone 12, Works on all iOS 16 compatible devices including iPhone 12 Mini iPhone 12 Pro Max; iPhone 13 iPhone 13 Mini; iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max; iPhone 14 iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. More details can be found on Apple’s website.
If you have iPhones older than those listed below. You can find details below on how to hard reset on these devices.
How to hard reset iPhone on iOS 15 devices.
Performing a Force Restart or Hard Reset on older iPhones that only run iOS 15 is slightly different from iOS 16 devices.
It depends on the device you have to do this; If your handset is iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, you can check the steps below.
- Press and hold the volume down button and the sleep-wake button at the same time.
- Keep holding these buttons until you see the Apple logo.
- Release the buttons on your iPhone when the Apple logo appears.
- Your device will reboot and this should fix the problem.
To do this on iPhone 6S or 1st generation iPhone SE; Follow the steps below.
- Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep-Wake button at the same time.
- Keep holding both buttons until the Apple logo appears.
- Release the buttons when the Apple logo appears.
- Your device will reboot and you can see if that fixes any issues.
You can find detailed information on what to do on iOS 15 supported iPhones on Apple’s website.
A hard reset or force restart on your iPhone is designed to fix minor issues that your iPhone may be experiencing. If your device stops responding or has minor issues; Doing this will reset the device and get you back to work.
Doing this on your iPhone will not remove your data; So it is safe to use for minor issues on your device. If you have other problems, There is a factory reset option for iPhone which restores the device to factory settings. We hope you find this guide useful; Let us know if you have any comments or questions.
Image credit: Yura Fresh
Filed under: Apple, Apple iPhone, Guides
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles contain affiliate links. Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase one of these links. learn more.